The second stage of the Tour of Quanzhou Bay ended in a bunch sprint into Fengze, with local rider Yikui Niu the team’s top finisher.
After a windy opening stage, the second day of racing was more routine with a flat course starting with four laps before a small category four ramp in the final 10-kilometres. That climb wasn’t enough to dislodge the sprinters and the day ended in a bunch gallop, with Matthew Rice (Pro Racing Sunshine Coast) taking the win.
Mitchelton-BikeExchange were amongst the finale as Niu sprinted to 29th place with attention now turning to the final stage tomorrow.
Dave Sanders (Sports Director):
“It was another flat windy day and we tried to split it a couple of times. Ran Hao won the first sprint before another group got away and it all came back for a bunch sprint, so nothing changed on GC.”
Tour of Quanzhou Bay – Stage 2 Results:
1. Matthew Rice (Pro Racing Sunshine Coast) 2:29:49
2. Dusan Kalaba (Serbia) ST
29. Yikui Niu (Mitchelton-BikeExchange) ST
1. Mykhaylo Kononenko (Shenzhen Xidesheng Cycling Team) 4:45:17
2. Ryan Cavanagh (St George Continental) +0:03
15. James Oram (Mitchelton-BikeExchange) +0:20