With no major climbs to contend with and a Queen stage to follow tomorrow, Mitchelton-BikeExchange opted to conserve energy on stage three of the Tour of Langkawi.
A breakaway of three rode out of over ten minute’s advantage before the peloton reacted and despite some additional attack attempts mid-race, the stage resulted in the expected sprint with Travis McCabe (Floyd’s Pro Cycling) winning easily.
A small split on the finish line saw leader James Oram drop four seconds, who now sits in 16th overall 22-seconds behind today’s winner McCabe who is also the race leader.
“It was a fairly easy stage, with a few hard moments when teams decided to try to split the race due to the easy pace being set.
“We all stayed out of trouble in the finish and we’re all set for the highlands stage tomorrow. Time to rest up.”
Dave Sanders – Sport Director:
“All the team got through pretty well today. I just wanted them to conserve energy for tomorrow’s Queen stage. Niu did it tough today because of his injuries but he got there ok.”
2019 Tour of Langkawi – Stage 3 Results:
1. Travis McCabe (Floyd’s Pro Cycling) 4:49:39
2. Matteo Pelucchi (Androni Giocattoli – Sidermec) +0:02
3. Andrea Guardini (Bardiani – CSF) +0:02
36. James Oram (Mitchelton-BikeExchange) +0:06
2019 Tour of Langkawi – General Classification after Stage 3:
1. Travis McCabe (Floyd’s Pro Cycling) 14:03:28
2. Marcus Culey (Sapura) +0:04
3. Michael Freiberg (Pro Racing Sunshine Coast) +0:13
16. James Oram (Mitchelton-BikeExchange) +0:22